Welcome to the twenty-fourth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the “Where the frack is my ship” blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?
I know, it’s a shameless rip-off from Popeye but it holds pretty true for me. OOG I am a Landscape Architect by trade, a dad, husband and an “every-Sunday” Catholic. According to my personality tests, I tend to be an introvert and a deep thinker. I don’t talk a lot and I tend to think about and formulate what I say before I utter my thoughts. I’m comfortable speaking in front of large groups and while I definitely have a creative side, my stronger affinities are for the analytical/engineering tasks in my work. Even with my ‘deep thinking’ characteristics I am prone to the occasional impulsive decision. So, is Tai Maac a reflection of me in-game?
I think I’d have to say that he is to a large degree. In game I don’t talk a lot in comms, preferring to type in fleet/alliance chat. Trying to FC is challenging to me right now, not because I’m uncomfortable speaking but because I find myself having little time to ‘think’ before I say something. In real-life I compensate by pre-planning and I’m learning how to do this in game as well. While I’m not overly friendly in game (unless I’ve had a few too many), I’m not a complete jerk either; I couldn’t participate in Hulkageddon but love the thought of doing it.
I can’t say that there’s been much cross-over from the game to real-life other than the obvious time that I spend thinking (or writing about it). I do hope to develop more than a casual relationship with some of my corp/alliance mates but I know that’s going to take effort on my part to reach out to them. If I had one wish it would be to find a R/L friend and introduce him to EVE and get him to play alongside me; I find myself thinking along those lines fairly often.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some spinach that’s looking mighty tasty.
Other Blog Banter participants:
- EVE Blog Banter #24: Be, all that you can be, and so much more!
- BB24:RL + EVE = | A Mule In EvE
- Freebooted: BB 24: You Talking to Me?
- where the frack is my ship?: Blog Banter 24: Behind the keyboard
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #24: I Am Prano. « Prano’s Journey
- mikeazariah » Blog Archive » BB24 Who are you, who hoo woo hoo
- Drifting: The 24th EVE Blog Banter (January 2011 Edition) – Topic: EVE and Real Life
- Victoria Aut Mors » Blog Archive » Eve Blog Banter #24 – Where Eve Meets Real Life
- Who is more real?? « The Durzo Chronicles
- Captain Serenity: blog banter #24 – Personalities
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: EVE and Real Life (EVE Blog Banter #24)
- The 24th EVE Blog Banter – EVE and Real Life – The Phoenix Diaries
- » EvE Blog Banter #24: EVE and Real Life EvE Blasphemy
- Blog Banter 24: In Real Life « Yarrbear Tales
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Alt « the hydrostatic capsule
- Blog Banter #24 – Me « Roc’s Ramblings
- Blog Banter: Personalities in game and out of game
- Fiddler’s Edge: Game Face – Eve Blog Banter #24
- Progression’s Horizon: Blog Banter 24- Synonymous or Anonymous?
- More to come….